Tuesday, February 4, 2014

90 Year Old Woman Finds Deceased WWII Marine’s Diary Addressed to Her




Laura Mae Davis, a 90 year old woman, recently went to the National World War II Museum in New Orleans to see a display commemorating her high school sweetheart, Cpl. Thomas Jones, who was killed by a sniper in Japan. But what she found was incredible: Jones’ diary which included his last life request to give the diary to Davis.
“I didn’t have any idea there was a diary in there,” she said. She was brought to tears when she saw it.
Included in the diary was a picture of Laura Mae that Thomas had kept with him at all times.


This is Cpl. Thomas “Colton” Jones. He was killed by a Japanese sniper during WWII.
 The death notice the U.S. Government sent after his death.
 Jones’ diary started with the following: “my life history of my days in the U.S. Marine Corps … And most of all my love for Laura Mae for whom my heart is completely filled. So if you all get a chance please return it to her. I (am) writing this as my last life request.”


 Another page of the diary, which has been replicated and given to Laura Mae since the discovery.
 The last entry in the diary discussed how he had won $320 playing craps. He wrote, “”Laura Mae & I would really have a wonderful Xmas.”
 Laura Mae will cherish this diary for the rest of her life, finally having closure to losing her high school sweetheart.

Laura Mae said she and Jones were never engaged, but he gave her his class ring and they went to prom together. They met at Winslow High School in 1941.




No comments:

Post a Comment